OCSTA 2018 AGM and Conference:
OCSTA’s 88th Annual General Meeting and Conference will be hosted by the Waterloo CDSB at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Kitchener, April 26- 28, 2018.
This year’s conference theme is Stewards of the Promise and the program has been designed to offer trustees an opportunity to explore the unique calling and important role of Ontario’s Catholic trustees at this time in our history.
- Stewards of the Promise – The Role of Catholic Trustees Today, presented by Rev. John Comiskey, Moderator of the Curia for the Diocese of London and author of My Heart’s Best Wishes for You: A Biography of Archbishop John Walsh
- Stewardship, Marc Kielburger, Co-founder, WE Movement
- An Address to Ontario’s Catholic School Trustees, Minister of Education, The Hon. Indira Naidoo-Harris
- Demographic Trends Affecting Education in Ontario, presented by Jack Ammendolia, Director, Watson and Associates
- His Eminence Thomas Cardinal Collins, Celebrant for the annual Conference Mass on April 27
To view this year’s full program please click here.
Early Bird Registration Deadline
Early Bird Registration deadline for the 2018 OCSTA AGM & Conference, is Friday, March 16, 2018. After this date the registration fee will increase. To register now click here.
Conference Spousal Program
This is also the deadline for confirmation of participation and payment for the Spousal Program which includes a trip to St. Jacobs Farmers’ Market and the surrounding village. Learn more about the OCSTA Conference Spousal Program.
Call for Nominations
The OCSTA 2018 elections will be held as part of the Annual General Meeting on Friday, Aprl 27.
Nominations are open for the following positions:
- OCSTA President
- OCSTA Vice President
- OCSTA Representative to the CCSTA Board of Directors
Download nomination forms for any of the positions listed above.
Additional forms may be reproduced locally as required. The deadline date for nominations is 9:00 a.m. (EST) on April 6, 2018.
A list of all nominations received in the OCSTA office by April 6, 2018 will be distributed to all member boards no later than April 9, 2018.
If however, no nominations for the positions of OCSTA President, Vice President and OCSTA Representative to the CCSTA Board of Directors are received at the Corporation Head Office within the time so limited, nominations shall remain open until but not later than two hours and fifteen minutes prior to the time fixed in the Notice of Meeting for the call to order of the first business session at the Annual Meeting.
OCSTA Board of Directors – Roles and Responsibilities
The Board of Directors is the major decision-making body of the Association. This group manages the affairs of the Associations and consists of:
- 3 Table Officers: President, Vice President, Past President
- 15 Regional Directors
- Executive Director
- ACBO Liaison to OCSTA
The Board of Directors
- Serves as the principal source of policy and political direction for the Association between Annual General Meetings.
- Approves amendments to the Constitution and By-Law which are then taken to the membership for approval at an AGM.
- Approves the annual Association budget and establishes membership and service fees.
- Selects OCSTA award recipients.
- Establishes ad-hoc work groups, as required.
- Other responsibilities as adopted by the Board of Directors.
Board of Directors’ Meetings
– 6 times per year (September, December, February, April (2), and June.
– May be called by the President at others times.
– Shall be convened by the Executive Director upon direction in writing of five Directors.
– There are currently 5 Standing Committees.
– OCSTA Regional Directors are required to sit on 2 of these committees.
– Committees meet approximately 3-6 times per year.
– Ad Hoc Committees may be established, as needed.
2018 OCSTA/OCSBOA Business Seminar
This year’s OCSTA/OCSBOA Business Seminar will be held April 26, from 10:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Kitchener (immediately prior to the launch of the OCSTA AGM and Conference later that evening).
To view the program and register online please click here.
Summit on Children and Youth Mental Health
April 12 – 13, 2018
105 Princes’ Boulevard
OCSTA is pleased to be one of the partners sponsoring this annual event that unites the voices of educators, professional student services personnel, mental health and health professionals, children service agencies, children service advocates, families and students.
Included in this year’s program will be presentations by representatives from Catholic District Boards. Those participating Catholic school boards include: Niagara, Peterbourgh Victoria Northumberland and Clarington, Hamilton-Wentworth and Bruce-Grey Catholic District School Boards.
To view the program click here.
To register online click here.
OCSTA will be hosting an exhibit booth at this event. For more information please contact Sharon McMillan – email@example.com.
Other News from our Catholic Education Partners
A new Video from His Grace, Cardinal Thomas Collins
Cardinal Thomas Collins of Toronto speaks about the importance and significance of Jesus and His Most Holy Name. To read a full copy of the Cardinal’s letter, click here
For children…The Catholic Register newspaper is currently sponsoring their annual Easter Drawing Contest …