Cabinet Shuffle – New Minister of Education
On June 20, Premier Doug Ford today announced changes to his cabinet with 12 ministers changing roles, the expansion of the cabinet from 21 to 28 (including the premier) and the addition of 6 new portfolios. The new Minister of Education is King-Vaughan MPP, the Hon. Stephen Lecce.
Prior to Minister Lecce’s appointment to this role he was the Parliamentary Assistant to the Premier.
A Catholic and graduate of St. Michael’s College School, Minister Lecce has met with OCSTA President Beverley Eckensweiler several times over the last year and at each meeting has confirmed his strong support for publicly funded Catholic education in Ontario. OCSTA’s President was among the first stakeholders contacted by the Minister immediately after his appointment on June 20.
Following is the new, expanded and updated provincial cabinet:
- Premier and Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs – Doug Ford
- Deputy Premier and Minister of Health – Christine Elliott
- Associate Minister of Mental Health and Addictions – Michael Tibollo
- Minister of Long-Term Care – Merrilee Fullerton
- Minister of Finance – Rod Phillips
- Minister of Economic Development, Job Creation and Trade and Chair of Cabinet – Vic Fedeli
- Associate Minister of Small Business and Red Tape Reduction – Prabmeet Sarkaria
- Minister of Municipal Affairs and Housing – Steve Clark
- Solicitor General – Sylvia Jones
- Minister of Environment, Conservation and Parks – Jeff Yurek
- Minister of Children, Community and Social Services – Todd Smith
- Associate Minister of Children and Women’s Issues – Jill Dunlop
- Minister of Labour – Monte McNaughton
- Attorney General – Doug Downey
- Minister of Transportation and Minister of Francophone Affairs – Caroline Mulroney
- Associate Minister of Transportation (GTA) – Kinga Surma
- Minister of Training, Colleges and Universities – Ross Romano
- Minister of Education – Stephen Lecce
- President of the Treasury Board – Peter Bethlenfalvy
- Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry – John Yakabuski
- Minister of Energy, Northern Development and Mines, and Minister of Indigenous Affairs – Greg Rickford
- Associate Minister of Energy – Bill Walker
- Minister for Seniors and Accessibility – Raymond Cho
- Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs – Ernie Hardeman
- Minister of Infrastructure – Laurie Scott
- Minister of Tourism, Culture and Sport – Lisa MacLeod
- Minister of Government and Consumer Services – Lisa Thompson
- Government House Leader – Paul Calandra
OCSTA Fall Regional Meetings
All trustees and directors of education are encouraged to mark the date and location for the OCSTA Regional Meetings taking place in 5 regions this coming fall.
Please download the OCSTA Fall 2019 Regional Meeting Schedule.
A New Book by Dr. Thomas Groome
Last April, OCSTA delegates had the pleasure of participating in a presentation by well-known author and presenter, Dr. Thomas Groome of Boston College during the annual OCSTA AGM and Conference. At that session Dr. Groome delivered a powerful presentation on the role of Catholic education and Catholic leaders in putting faith into action in our secular world.
As a follow up to Dr. Groome’s presentation, we are happy to share information about ordering Dr. Groome’s new book Faith for the Heart – A ‘Catholic’ Spirituality.