PC Interim Leader Meets with OCSTA
On February 6, OCSTA President, Patrick Daly, Executive Director Nick Milanetti, and Director of Legislative and Political Affairs, Stephen Andrews, met with PC Interim Leader of the Opposition, Vic Fedeli and PC Education Critic Lorne Coe.
Mr. Fedeli is a graduate of Ontario’s publicly funded Catholic school system (St. Joseph-Scollard Hall Catholic Secondary School in North Bay). As a strong supporter of Catholic education in Ontario, Mr. Fedeli affirmed to OCSTA that his beliefs are rooted in his Catholic faith.
During the meeting, OCSTA representatives updated Mr. Fedeli on the priorities of Ontario’s CDSBs that include the need for adequate funding to address current transportation needs throughout the province, special education funding short falls at CDSBs, and rising sick leave costs. Mr. Fedeli and Mr. Coe reiterated the PC platform commitment to special education funding and the need to review the overall funding formula for possible adjustments.
Further discussion focused on a commitment to addressing student mental health needs, especially in the northern and rural areas of the province.
Mr. Fedeli agreed that a regular briefing from OCSTA would be helpful in terms of understanding the policy/funding issues impacting the education sector.
2018 OCSTA AGM and Conference
OCSTA’s 88th Annual General Meeting and Conference will this year be co-hosted by the Waterloo Catholic District School Board, April 26 – 28, 2018 at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Kitchener. The theme of this year’s conference is “Stewards of the Promise” — a theme that focuses upon the role of publicly elected Catholic trustees in leading, protecting and promoting the gift and promise of Catholic education in Ontario.
- Keynote Address – “Stewards of the Promise”
- presented by Rev. John Comiskey, Moderator of the Curia for the Diocese of London and author of My Heart’s Best Wishes for You, a profile on the 19th century Archbishop of Toronto, John Walsh.
- Closing address by Marc Kielburger, WE Organization
- “Demographic Trends in Ontario’s Education System”
- presented by Jack Ammendolia, Watson & Associates, Economists
- “Maximizing the Board Agenda for Strong Stewardship”
- presented by the Waterloo CDSB
- “Trustee Resources Developed by the Ontario Education Services Corporation”
- presented by Ted Doherty, Executive Director, OESC
- His Grace, Cardinal Thomas Collins, Celebrant and Homilist for Mass
- “Students and Global Citizens”, Student Trustee Workshop
- presented by Kate Jamieson and Meghan Nemeth, Waterloo CDSB Student Trustees
- “An Interactive Exploration of the Religious Education Program: Growing in Faith, Growing in Christ”
- presetned by Carol Bryden, Catholic Trustee, St. Clair CDSB
- “Connecting Child Welfare and Education: A System Transformation”
- presented by Christina Campbell, Ontario Association of Children’s Aid Societies
To view the full program click here.
To register online click here.
2018 Business Seminar
This year’s OCSTA/OCSBOA Business Seminar will be held April 26, from 10:30 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Kitchener (immediately prior to the launch of the OCSTA AGM and Conference later that evening).
To view the program and register online please click here.