Inside this Issue:
2014 Annual General Meeting & Conference in Niagara Falls
OCSTA’s Annual General Meeting & Conference will take place April 24-26, 2014 at the Hilton Hotel and Suites in Niagara Falls. If you haven’t registered yet please register online now. **New this year** – DOWNLOAD the OCSTA Event App.
This is our largest event of the year offering professional and faith development opportunities for Catholic trustees. The theme for the 2014 Conference is “Catholic Education in a Digital World” and the program planned will examine the influence of technology and our digital culture on the delivery and mission of Catholic education. The three-day conference offers a variety of sessions for discussion and education to support trustees in their roles as advocates, stewards and guardians of Catholic education.
- Keynote Address: “Catholic Education in a Digital Age,” presented by Professor Angela Ann Zukowski, MHSH, D.Min, Director of the Institute for Pastoral Initiatives, University of Dayton.
- Student Trustee Workshop: This facilitated session will explore options for collaboration between OCSTA and the Catholic Board Council of the Ontario Student Trustees’ Association for the purposes of enhancing the learning and networking opportunities available for all student trustees. ALL CDSB’s are encouraged to register their Student Trustees for this event.
- The Hon. Liz Sandals, Minister of Education (Invited)
- “How Catholic School Boards are Using Technology to enhance Education” – CDSB Panel: Rick Brassard, Chair, Northeastern CDSB; Lori Di Marco, Superintendent of Learning, Student Achievement and Well-Being, Toronto CDSB and; Catherine Montreuil, Director of Education, Bruce-Grey CDSB.
- “Digital Literacy and e-Learning,” presented by Jesse Brown, Digital Media Expert, Broadcast Journalist and Co-Founder of popular education and social media website Bitstrips.com.
- Labour Relations Workshop – Facilitated by OCSTA Co-ordinator, Labour Relations, Mike McPhee.
- “Aboriginal Education – Best Practices from Sudbury Catholic,” presented by Dawn-Marie Wemigwans, Principal with the Sudbury CDSB.
OCSTA Elections – April 25, 2014
The OCSTA Board of Directors is the principal source of policy and political direction and the major decision-making body of the Association. The Board manages the affairs of the Association and consists of the following elected positions:
Member Board Directors
For the 2014 OCSTA AGM, the following positions are open for nomination:
Role: to preside at all general meetings of the Association and at the Board of Directors; to generally supervise OCSTA’s affairs; to serve as an ex-officio member of all committees/work groups, and; to serve as the official spokesperson for OCSTA
- Vice President
Role: to preside at meetings of the Board of Directors in the absence of the President; to represent the Association in place of the President, as required, and; any other duties, as determined by the President
- OCSTA Representative to the Canadian Catholic School Trustees’ Association (CCSTA) Board of Directors
Role: to represent the perspectives and priorities of OCSTA at CCSTA proceedings and to share information about CCSTA initiatives and priorities with OCSTA.
Nomination form for the position President
Nomination form for the position of Vice President
Nomination form for the position of OCSTA Representative to the CCSTA Board of Directors
The deadline for receipt of all nominations is 10:00 am. (EST) on April 4, 2014. A list of all nominations received by that deadline at OCSTA will be distributed to all member boards no later than April 7, 2014.
For more information, please contact Jane Ponte at (416) 932-9460, ext. 223.
Faith in Our Future Video Campaign
The Faith in Our Future Video Campaign launched successfully on January 14 (see press release). We invite all members of the Catholic community to visit OCSTA’s Video Channel at http://www.YouTube.com/ocstavideo1 to access, view and share on social media platforms, the various videos featuring our trustees, students, parents and alumni expressing the ways in which the Gospel values and Catholic faith traditions taught in Ontario’s Catholic schools have nourished and inspired their lives.
For information about the campaign and to access resources to support communications with MPPs and members of the community please visit the campaign website at http://www.faithinourfuture.ca.
2014 Municipal Election
Information about becoming a Catholic trustee and voting as a Catholic ratepayer in the upcoming October 27, 2014 municipal election is available on the OCSTA website at https://www.ocsta.on.ca/municipal-election.
- January 2, 2014 Nomination and Campaign Period Begins
- September 12, 2014 (9 am to 2 pm) – Nomination Day (Last Day to be Nominated)
- September 12, 2014 (before 2pm) – Final Day for Withdrawal of Candidacy
- October 27, 2014 – Voting Day
- December 1, 2014 – School Board Term Begins
- December 31, 2014 – Campaign Period Ends
- March 27, 2015 – Financial Filing Deadline
- November 30, 2018 – School Board Term Ends
Faith Formation Day for Catechists, Teachers and Volunteers
The Archdiocese of Toronto invites all who help parishes to prepare children and youth for First Reconciliation, Holy Communion and/ or Confirmation to join experienced religious educators in a morning of prayer, reflection and discussion.
- How to organize a parent information meeting
- Bringing sacramental preparation into the home
- Collaboration between parish and schools
- Music and sacramental catechesis
Download the following documents for full details and registration information.
For more information, call the Office of Formation and Discipleship, 416-934-3400 x 523 or email formation [at] archtoronto.org.
Northeastern Catholic OHS 60/20 Reunion
Northeastern Catholic’s O’Gorman High School (OHS) is planning the OHS 60/20 Reunion for August 1, 2 and 3, 2014. This much anticipated weekend will celebrate 60 years of OHS history and mark the 20th anniversary milestone of the opening of the new O’Gorman High School building.
For more information please contact Doug Basso or Lauri-Ann Loreto Neal at OHS – (705) 268-4501. Please refer to the Board’s website at www.ncdsb.on.ca for registration details.