Inside this Issue:
- 1 Catholic Education Day at Queen’s Park
- 2 2016-17 Grants for Student Needs
- 3 OCSTA AGM – Interim Nominations Report
- 4 86th AGM and Conference: Embracing our Vision
- 5 Annual OCSTA/OCSBOA Business Seminar
- 6 OCSTA Director Appointed to the OCT Council
- 7 OAPCE Conference, May 6-7
Catholic Education Day at Queen’s Park
For the first time in recent memory, MPPs in the Ontario legislature gave a standing ovation for the representatives of Ontario’s publicly funded Catholic school system, many of whom were present in the Members Gallery on March 9th.
Representatives of FACE (Friends and Advocates for Catholic Education) – the joint initiative between OCSTA, OECTA and the Assembly of Catholic Bishops of Ontario (ACBO) – were seated in the Legislature for Question Period as part of FACE’s annual Queen’s Park Lobby Day for Catholic Education.
Coordinated by FACE Project Manager Carole Allen and Enterprise Canada consultants, the day involved several meetings between MPPs and members of the FACE delegation team which included representatives from OCSTA, OECTA and ACBO.
Each MPP meeting provided an opportunity for FACE delegation team members to discuss the contributions, made by the students and staff in Catholic schools, to the vitality and success of Ontario’s education system.
Acknowledgement in the House
During the introductions portion of Question Period, many MPPs took the time to acknowledge and welcome representatives of Ontario’s publicly funded school system.
Mr. Grant Crack (MPP Glengarry-Prescott-Russell): I’d like to introduce members of the Friends and Advocates for Catholic Education who are present in the gallery this morning. This group includes the Ontario bishops’ council, led by His Eminence Cardinal Collins; representatives of the Ontario English Catholic Teachers Association; and representatives of the Ontario Catholic School Trustees’ Association. They’ll be meeting with MPPs throughout the day and will be hosting a reception at 5 p.m. in the legislative dining room this afternoon. Welcome to Queen’s Park, everyone.
Lobby Day Participants
Meetings and Reception
Throughout the day there were 18 meetings with senior policy advisors to Ministers and the Premier, meetings with Ministers, MPPs from both government and each opposition party, as well as a meeting with the Leader of the Opposition.
Members of Provincial Parliament and Ministers at the Catholic Education Day at Queen’s Park Reception:
- Liz Sandals, MPP Guelph, Minister of Education, Liberal
- Charles Sousa, MPP Mississauga South, Minister of Finance, Liberal
- Dave Levac, MPP Brant, Speaker, Liberal
- Michael Gravelle, MPP Thunder Bay-Superior North, Minister of Northern Development and Mines, Liberal
- Helena Jaczek, MPP Oak Ridges-Markham, Minister of Community and Social Services, Liberal
- Madeleine Meilleur, MPP Ottawa- Vanier, Attorney General, Liberal
- Jeff Leal, MPP Peterborough, Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, Liberal
- Paul Miller, MPP Hamilton East-Stoney Creek, NDP
- Taras Natyshak,MPP Essex, NDP
- Christina Martin, MPP Davenport, Liberal
- Ann Hoggarth, MPP Barrie, Liberal
- Jim Bradley, MPP St. Catharines, Liberal, Deputy Government House Leader
- Marie France Lalonde, MPP Ottawa-Orleans, Liberal
- Wayne Gates, MPP Niagara Falls, NDP
- Vic Fedeli, MPP Nippissing, PC
- Sylvia Jones, MPP Dufferin-Caledon, PC
- Lorne Coe, MPP Whitby-Oshawa, PC
- John Yakabuski, MPP Renfrew-Nipissing-Pembroke, PC
- Lisa Thompson, MPP Huron-Bruce, PC
- Lisa MacLeod, MPP Nepean-Carleton, PC
- Mitzie Hunter, MPP Scarborough-Guildwood, Associate Minister of Finance, Liberal
- Grant Crack,MPP Glengarry-Prescott-Russell, Parliamentary Assistant to the Minister of Education
- Sophie Kiwala, MPP Kingston and the Islands, Liberal
- Tim Hudak, MPP Niagara West-Glanbrook, PC
- Steve Clark, MPP Leeds-Grenville, PC
- Joe Dickson, MPP Ajax-Pickering, Liberal
- John Fraser, MPP Ottawa South, Liberal
- Gilles Bisson, MPP Timmins-James Bay, NDP
- Soo Wong, MPP Scarborough-Agincourt, Liberal
- Peter Tabuns, MPP Toronto-Danforth, NDP
- Lou Rinaldi, MPP Northumberland-Quinte West, Liberal
- Frances Gelinas, MPP Nickel Belt, NDP
- Daiene Vernile, MPP Kitchener-Centre, Liberal
- Jennifer French, MPP Oshawa, NDP
- Randy Pettapiece, MPP Perth-Wellington, PC
- Michael Harris, MPP Kitchener-Conestoga, PC
Students Meet with the Lieutenant Governor
Several students from Catholic secondary schools across the region were invited to be a part of Lobby Day. In addition to tours of the legislature, students were invited to meet with the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, the Honourable Elizabeth Dowdeswell, OC, OOnt.
During the Lobby Day reception students and teachers participated in displays and performances that highlighted artistic and academic achievement at Ontario’s Catholic schools. We’d like to thank students and staff from the Toronto CDSB, Durham CDSB, Dufferin-Peel CDSB, Niagara CDSB, Bruce-Grey CDSB and Brant Haldimand Norfolk CDSB.
Kalore Jingmei Cao of St. Joseph’s College School, Toronto CDSB:
2016-17 Grants for Student Needs
This week OCSTA Policy Advisor – Finance, Wally Easton, issued a memo to Association members that provided an overview of the 2016-17 Grants for Student Needs recently announced by the Ministry of Education. That memo can be viewed here.
OCSTA AGM – Interim Nominations Report
OCSTA’s 86th Annual General Meeting and Conference will take place April 28-30, 2016 at the Blue Mountain Resort, near Collingwood. At this year’s AGM elections will take place for the positions of President, Vice-President and OCSTA Representative to CCSTA (the Canadian Catholic School Trustees’ Association).
Following are the nominations received to date for these positions:
Patrick Daly, Hamilton-Wentworth CDSB
Barbara Holland, Windsor-Essex CDSB
Bob Schreader, Renfrew County CDSB (Withdrawn)
Beverley Eckensweiler, Bruce-Grey CDSB
OCSTA Representative to CCSTA:
Linda Ward, St. Clair CDSB
The deadline for receipt of nominations in the OCSTA office is 10 a.m. on Friday, April 8th, 2016.
86th AGM and Conference: Embracing our Vision
Thursday, April 28 – Saturday, April 30, 2016
Blue Mountain Resort
110 Jozo Weider Boulevard
Blue Mountains, ON L9Y 3Z2
Co-hosted by the Simcoe Muskoka CDSB
- Inspiring a Vision, Empowering for Action keynote address: The Most Reverend Paul-Andre Durocher, Archbishop of Gatineau, Quebec
- Spotlight on Presentations for School Trustees – Lorraine Behnan, Change Management and Communications Expert
- Best Practices in Strategic Planning for School Boards – (Workshop) Chris Sarellas and Lori Barnes, Leadership Development & School Board Governance Branch, Ministry of Education
- Examining Innovative Green Schools in the 21st Century (Workshop/Discussion Panel), moderated by Cynthia Clarke, AASG Enterprise Asset Management, panelists: Paul Sapounzi, Managing Director, The Ventin Group, Doug Snyder, Snyder Architects, and Ken MacSporran, Moffet & Duncan Architects
- Aboriginal Education: A Time of Change, Healing and Hope (Workshop) presented by Linda McGregor, Manager, First Nation, Metis and Inuit Education, Simcoe Muskoka CDSB
- Mental Health, Spirituality, and Authentic Happiness, presented by Dr. Patrick Carney, Psychologist and Mental Health Lead, Simcoe Muskoka CDSB
- Minister of Education, The Hon. Liz Sandals
Regional Meetings – Friday, April 29th (2:00 p.m. to 3:25 p.m.)
Post Conference Event – Trip to Martyr’s Shrine – Saturday, April 30
Use our online registration form to register now.
Annual OCSTA/OCSBOA Business Seminar
Prior to every AGM and Conference, OCSTA partners with the Ontario Catholic School Business Officials’ of Ontario to host an annual Business Seminar which this year will happen on Thursday, April 28, 11:30 a.m. (the Seminar includes a pre-session lunch) at the Blue Mountain Resort.
Our keynote speaker this year will be Peter Norman, Vice President and Chief Economist with the Altus Group. Other sessions include a presentation by Reg Pearson, Associate Deputy Minister, Treasury Board Secretariat Bargaining and Compensation, and a panel discussion reviewing the new collective bargaining process.
OCSTA Director Appointed to the OCT Council
OCSTA is pleased to announce that Association Director and Trustee with the Northeastern CDSB, Colleen Landers, was appointed last December to the Ontario College of Teachers’ Council.
The37-member Council governs the College and develops and approves policies that regulate the teaching profession in Ontario. The Council is made up of 23 members of the College elected by their peers and 14 members of the public appointed by the provincial government.
OAPCE Conference, May 6-7
The 77th Annual Conference for the Ontario Association for Parents in Catholic Education will take place May 6-7 in Toronto at the following locations:
- Networking Reception (May 6) – Montecassino Hotel
- Conference and AGM (May 7) – Madonna Catholic Secondary School (Toronto CDSB)
- Mass and Gala Awards Dinner (May 7) – Montecassino Hotel
This year’s conference theme is: “Many Gifts, One Voice: Living our Virtues in a Virtual World.”
Keynote speaker: Michael Redfearn – author, digital literacy consultant and former secondary school teacher (21 years in education).
For more details and registration information, visit the OAPCE Conference website