Inside this Issue:
- 1 Legislative Update
- 2 Register for the 87th AGM & Conference
- 3 OCSTA visits Nipissing-Parry Sound CDSB to Celebrate Indigenous Culture in Catholic Schools
- 4 Good News from Northeastern CDSB
- 5 Together in Faith Campaign
- 6 Catholic Education Week – April 30 – May 5
- 7 OCSTA Online Community Forum for Trustees
Read the recent Legislative Update issued by OCSTA President, Patrick Daly.
Register for the 87th AGM & Conference
Date and Location: April 27 – 29, 2017 at the International Plaza Hotel, Toronto
This year’s AGM and Conference focuses on the distinctive role of Catholic trustees in speaking up for and protecting publicly funded Catholic education in Ontario. The conference theme “Our Voice – Our Message – Our Future” is reflected in an engaging program that includes:
- Keynote address by Dr. John Milloy, former Ontario Cabinet Minister and current lecturer on politics and ethics at Wilfred Laurier University
- Special welcome by Minister of Education, The Hon. Mitzie Hunter
- Presentation on Ministry of Education Key Initiatives by Deputy Minister, Bruce Rodrigues
- Presentation on the Legacy of Ontario Premier Bill Davis, presented by Steve Paikin, Anchor, TVO’s The Agenda with Steve Paikin
- A discussion of good governance practices by a panel of Catholic Trustees and Directors of Education
- A unique workshop entitled “Digital Discipleship”, presented by York CDSB
Click here to view the full program.
Register online for the 2017 OCSTA AGM and Conference.
Pre-conference event: 2017 OCSTA/OCSBOA Business Seminar
All members are invited to attend the annual OCSTA/OCSBOA Business Seminar which takes place prior to the AGM on Thursday, April 27 from 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. at the International Plaza Hotel in Toronto.
This year’s seminar includes an intensive workshop on the Internal Audit Process and Audit Committees. The session has been designed specifically for trustees will be presented by Ministry of Education staff.
This workshop will cover audit committee-related topics identified through a survey that has been distributed to trustees. Regional internal audit managers will provide a short presentation on each topic, with each presentation followed by an activity and/or group discussion.
Other sessions at the Business Seminar include:
- Panel Discussion – Accommodation Review, moderated by Bill Gartland, Director of Education, CDSB of Eastern Ontario. Panelists:
- Kathy Le Fort, Vice Chair, Durham CDSB
- Michael Hines, Partner, Hicks Morley Hamilton Stewart Storie LLP
- Daniel Del Bianco, Superintendent of Planning and Operations, Dufferin-Peel CDSB
- Robert Lavigne, Managing Director, Economic Research, OMERS Capital Markets
- John Sabo, President and CEO, Ontario Education Collaborative Marketplace
Click here to view the full program.
Register online for the 2017 OCSTA/OCSBOA Business Seminar.
OCSTA visits Nipissing-Parry Sound CDSB to Celebrate Indigenous Culture in Catholic Schools
OCSTA President Patrick Daly and Executive Director Nick Milanetti were pleased to be a part of a recent Nipissing-Parry Sound CDSB meeting where students, staff and trustees celebrated the many accomplishments of educators and students who continue to work to integrate indigenous language, culture and inclusion in Nipissing-Parry Sound’s Catholic schools.
Good News from Northeastern CDSB
Dear Friends in Catholic Education,
Please join with me in congratulating Tricia Stefanic-Weltz who was appointed Director of Education beginning July 1, 2017. Tricia has spent her entire teaching career with the Timmins District Roman Catholic Separate School Board and then the Northeastern Catholic District School Board upon amalgamation in 1999. She has served as a Teacher, Principal, Program Principal, Interim Director of Education, and most recently as Superintendent of Education with our Board.
On behalf of the Trustees, Senior Administration, our Principals, all Staff Members, Students and our Catholic stakeholders, I offer Tricia our prayers and best wishes as she prepares to take over as our Director of Education.
Chair, Northeastern Catholic District School Board
Together in Faith Campaign
OCSTA’s campaign to engage Ontario’s Catholic education community (students, parents, trustees, teachers, staff, parishioners, neighbours and all supporters of publicly funded Catholic schools in this province) is progressing very well.
At this time we are particularly focused on engaging Catholic school alumni and we have developed online campaign posters that are being shared on social media platforms.
Have you signed up to receive updates on OCSTA’s Together in Faith campaign? If not, we hope you’ll sign up today as this campaign is designed to surface and profile province-wide the social justice initiatives, faith-based activities, successful programs and academic achievements of students and staff in our Catholic schools.
We encourage you to share the posters and pre-written (but customizable) messages and letters that you can access directly from the Together in Faith website and share with members of your family, parish, Catholic school community, local MPP, city councillors and others in your local network.
Catholic Education Week – April 30 – May 5
OCSTA’s Catholic Education Week committee members have worked diligently over the year to develop the resources and learning materials for the 2017 Catholic Education Week event. Developed this year under the theme “Walking forward Together” all marketing and learning materials can be downloaded directly from the website at www.goodnewsforall.ca.
Of special note is the newly released Catholic Education Week song “Walking Forward Together” written and performed by Dufferin-Peel CDSB teacher, Nancy Bodsworth. Mp3 files and English and French lyrics are also included in the resources located at the website referenced above.
OCSTA Online Community Forum for Trustees
All trustees are encouraged to join the OCSTA Online Community Forum for Trustees. This forum has been established in response to trustees’ requests for secure online space for trustees to share ideas and questions on issues related to Catholic education, Catholic school board governance, and Ministry of Education initiatives, policies and legislation. If you need assistance to log onto this forum, please do not hesitate to contact Ashlee Cabral at firstname.lastname@example.org – 416-932-9460, ext. 232.
New Categories: New discussion categories have been added to provide trustees with timely and direct access to OCSTA memos, briefs, submissions and information on upcoming events.